Welcome to the
Vale of Glamorgan Council



Enforcement Control

The Council has powers to control unauthorised development and may take formal action in order to remedy a breach of planning control where it is expedient and in the public interest to do so. The breaches of planning control the Council deal with include:

  • Erection of buildings, extensions or alterations to buildings.
  • The material change of use of land or buildings.
  • The breach of a condition imposed on a planning permission.
  • The failure to comply with plans approved as part of a planning permission.
  • Advertisements.
  • Works to or the removal of a Hedgerow or a Protected Tree.
  • Works to a listed building.
  • Untidy land and buildings.


Making a Complaint

You can contact the enforcement section directly with a complaint using the online form.


The Council aims to achieve the following:

  • The Enforcement section aims to resolve 60% of all complaints from members of the public within 12 weeks of receipt. Resolving a case would involve taking formal action, receiving a planning application, or judging there to be either no breach or a breach not worthy of action.
  • The section aims to resolve 70% of all non-complaint files within 6 months of receipt.

The section also aims to meet following targets with regard to enforcement matters:

  • The Council will endeavor to acknowledge complaints made in writing, via the online complaint form or by e-mail within 5 working days.
  • Written complaints to be investigated according to the priority allocated to the complaint: Priority 1 within 1 to 5 working Days, Priority 2 within 5 to 15 working days and Priority 3 within 28 working days. To see how the priority is allocated, please see the leaflet Planning Enforcement: A Guide for the Public
  • Assessment of the severity of the breach within 28 days.
  • Advising complainants of the resolution of a case within 28 days of that resolution.
  • Publicising policy and procedures on enforcement.


It should be noted that in general the section would investigate complaints where the complainant is identified and a written complaint form or letter is provided. Telephone complainants will usually be sent a complaint form to complete and return, however anonymous complaints will generally only be investigated where time constraints allow. In addition, the section has recently received a number of malicious and spurious complaints from anonymous sources and it should be noted that such complaints are given the very lowest priority.

Vale of Glamorgan Council, Civic Offices, Holton Road, Barry CF63 4RU, Tel: (01446) 700111